Monday, October 22, 2007

Militari 1

It's been almost two months since I came to this wonderful, beautiful and insightful country (i'm not being sarcastic, I really think so). It took for a while to settle and figure out what's going on here and what I will be doing. Well, I'm still in transition, but I finally feel like shooting more and more. There are lots of stories around the country, but it's hard to focus. It also takes time to get contats with potential subjects due to language and cultural barrier. Also, being Asian freaks out people here sometime because they generally haven't interect with Asians. But, I think that would be pretty much similar if working in different countries. Each country would give photographers hard time in defferent ways, I think. Shooting here is kind of like a street fight, as opposed to doing an MMA or boxing in the ring with tons of rules and cares. I've heard many times fighters get injured outside of the ring for some careless reasons, and I know those guys wouldn't be the same if they are on the street. I heard some pro guys getting beaten up on the street, as well.
I've finally found something thematic to work on. My neighborhood Militari has a lot of working class people, and in some sense, it's more real. The subways and subway stations in the area are pretty interesting to me. There are also many interesting people around other subway stations in Bucharest. So, I will be posting pictures more often hopefully...

Caption: Vlădescu Constantin performs in the subway in Militari, Bucharest on Oct. 21, 2007.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heh, welcome to Militari... from someone who stays there from almost 24years.

Ask Maran for Gica's door :)

thesis writer said...

Thanks for this post! i really enjoyed reading it!!!